tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat in production
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:00:52 GMT
Tomcat serves requests with threads and allows by default configuration around the 80 mark.
If it cannot handle them all, they get stacked up until threads become free. Most people would
probably agree that 80 concurrent requests would not happen in most systems that often.

You can do various bits and pieces to prepare your application for production. Someone already
mentioned using a load tool like JMeter to test your worst case scenario. Invariably that
will either lead you to be happy or not so. If not, you need to look at why your applicaton
is not performing .. things like network connectivity, database connections, raw algorithms,
legacy integrations and interoperability with other systems, will all have in impact per request
thread on your system. You can use profiling tools to get under the bonnet a lot more to see
where memory and time is being lost within your code.

In terms of configuration, there is no "make this production capable". There are things like
switchin off class-reloading on the web application and turning off development mode in the
conf/web.xml file and perhaps you'd want to tweak the request processor thread counts, but
really you need to

1) have an idea of what your worst case/scaling case of user load will be
2) test optimise test optimise test optimise until your load tests fit your expectation.

You can't just say, this is my server size, what can that handle, without factoring in (a)
what you want it to handle and (b) what you're application is going to do.

Cheers, Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474