tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Geiglein, Gary" <geigle...@peacetech.com>
Subject RE: servlet mapping and url
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:49:01 GMT
If you create a file in the root of the context (any file, could be an
empty file, it just needs to show up in a directory listing) then map
your servlet to the same URL you would use to reference the file, then
add the file to the welcome-file-list and it will work.

Tomcat will not forward to a welcome file unless it shows up in the
directory. But once you map the servlet to the same URL, the servlet
will intercept the request.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti [mailto:fzlists@omnytex.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 9:25 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: servlet mapping and url

Hi,

I don't think there is any restriction to mapping a servlet to a welcome

page:

<servlet>
<servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>com.company.app.MyServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/myServlet</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>/myServlet</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

Also, I'm not as sure, put I think just mapping the servlet to / will do

the trick as well.  Both are easy enough to test though, give it a shot
and post back your results for the archives.

Frank

s s wrote:
> i want to invoke a servlet using url like http://localhost:8080 only
>
> i have done it using http://localhost:8080/index.html where index.html
is a servlet. Is it possible to load this servlet as a default just like
a default web page. The point is i want a servlet to recieve a request
when url http://localhost:8080 is referenced i.e without the servlet
name.

--
Frank W. Zammetti