tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Geiglein, Gary" <>
Subject RE: servlet mapping and url
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:49:01 GMT
If you create a file in the root of the context (any file, could be an
empty file, it just needs to show up in a directory listing) then map
your servlet to the same URL you would use to reference the file, then
add the file to the welcome-file-list and it will work.

Tomcat will not forward to a welcome file unless it shows up in the
directory. But once you map the servlet to the same URL, the servlet
will intercept the request.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank W. Zammetti []
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 9:25 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: servlet mapping and url

I don't think there is any restriction to mapping a servlet to a welcome

Also, I'm not as sure, put I think just mapping the servlet to / will do

the trick as well.  Both are easy enough to test though, give it a shot
and post back your results for the archives.

s s wrote:
> i want to invoke a servlet using url like http://localhost:8080 only
> i have done it using http://localhost:8080/index.html where index.html
is a servlet. Is it possible to load this servlet as a default just like
a default web page. The point is i want a servlet to recieve a request
when url http://localhost:8080 is referenced i.e without the servlet