tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Bromley <martin.brom...@sustainable-energy.co.uk>
Subject Re: how to set index.faces as welcome-file
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:19:52 GMT
It took me a while to get welcome files working with the SpringMVC web framework.

I created the attached servlet to get things working properly.  It requires servlet spec 2.4,
and it works by mapping the welcome file to a servlet, WelcomeFileServlet, rather than direct
to a JSP.  The WelcomeFileServlet then forwards it on to the correct servlet, and makes sure
that the requestURI returns the right value (e.g. /index.htm rather than just /) It should
work fine with JSF, if you configure it properly.

Here's an example of how to configure it in web.xml

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>WelcomeFileServlet</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>com.mbromley.util.servlet.WelcomeFileServlet</servlet-class>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>forward-to-servlet-name</param-name>
			<param-value>DispatcherServlet</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>welcome-file</param-name>
			<param-value>index.htm</param-value>
		</init-param>
	</servlet>

It works by mapping the index page (index.htm in my case, index.faces or whatever in yours)
to the WelcomeFileServlet:

	<!-- Exact mappings are needed below for the welcome-file feature to work with WelcomeFileServlet.
-->
	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>WelcomeFileServlet</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>/index.htm</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

and then defining the welcome file as

<!-- This relies on the 2.4 spec allowing mappings to a servlet as opposed to just a real
file (index.htm doesn't exist as a real file in any of the directories this feature is required).
 The WelcomeFileServlet docs have lots of info on the correct setup of that class. -->
	<welcome-file-list>
		<welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
	</welcome-file-list>

Take a look at the docs with the attached file for more.

Hope it helps,

Martin with an 'i' ;-)