tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrea Aime <a.a...@satanet.it>
Subject Re: Make webapp jars downloadable
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:43:08 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:

> Tomcat explicitly prevents access from a client to any file under
> WEB-INF; Tomcat also insists on picking up its jars from WEB-INF/lib,
> and as far as I know it's not possible to change that.  My suggestion
> would be to write a few lines of code that copy the jar files you need
> from WEB-INF/lib to the root when the application starts up or when you
> hit a particular page - that way, at least you only have to upload them
> once.

Peter and Christoph
I'm already using a servlet to access the jar files, but it's the
servlet Sun provides to support versioning and jardiff web start protocols.
I'd rather not touch it tought...

Peter, can you elaborate a bit more on your solution? I'm not very familiar
with web applications, so far I've developed only Swing clients.
I guess I have to use a listener in order to do something on startup. How
do I get the right folder thought? Is there a environment variable I can read?

Best regards and thank you for your support
Andrea Aime