tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Guernsey, Byron \(GE Consumer & Industrial\)" <BYRON.GUERN...@GE.COM>
Subject RE: apache jk_mod connecor to tomcat; threads not being released
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:30:05 GMT

  Try setting the connectionTimeout in your server.xml:

    <Connector port="8009" address=""
               maxThreads="350" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75" acceptCount="100"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="443"
protocol="AJP/1.3" connectionTimeout="60000" />

  Its in milliseconds and I'd try to match it to your cache_timeout
within mod_jk.

  I think that will cause Tomcat to drop the connections.  There are
other ways to accomplish the same thing, but this one has been somewhat
reliable when dealing with a firewall that is eating the TCP shutdown

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Barnes []
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 5:47 AM
Subject: apache jk_mod connecor to tomcat; threads not being released

Hi folks,
Pretty new to the apache/tomcat world so please forgive any naivety.

We have an apache instance on one server that connects to a tomcat
instance on another using jk_mod

The problem is that no matter what values I use for the config the threads on the tomcat side are never
recycled/dropped/released.  Consequently the number of threads gradually
climbs to the value set in the server.xml file by "maxProcessors"  at
which point no new requests are met.

A bounce of either the tomcat or the apache process is all that seems to
reset it.  I have put on  trace level logging but found nothing useful
in the JK log file.

Has anyone encountered this before and I am just being a bit dense and
missing something ?
Please get back to me if you need more details.  Very grateful for any
assistance - some version numbers and worked property values below.

Apache 1.3
jk_mod 1.2.10
Tomcat 5.0.24
java  j2sdk1.4.2_08

   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.type=ajp13
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.port=8203
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.lbfactor=50
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.cachesize=1
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.cache_timeout=60
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.socket_keepalive=0
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.socket_timeout=5
   JkWorkerProperty worker.funds.recycle_timeout=30

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: