tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ed Hillmann <edhillm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Unable to use Python/CGI from Tomcat....
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:56:19 GMT
Well, my first attempt was to get Python built so that
it doesn't need the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set.  I'm still
working on that.

As far as the CGIServlet definition, I was under the
impression that Tomcat only allowed one CGIServlet?  I
got this from the doco...

"Tomcat's CGI support is largely compatible with
Apache httpd's, but there are some limitations (e.g.,
only one cgi-bin directory)."

Now, have I misinterpreted "only one cgi-bin
directory"?  Yu can only have one directory, but
multiple servlets configured differently to execute
different files in the single directory?  If I havem
then I'm quite happy to try to set up a servlet for my
Python script which knows it's Python.

--- Tim Diggins <subscribed@red56.co.uk> wrote:

> Is it worth writing a quick ksh script to validate
> your hypothesis that
> the environment (and specifically LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
> isn't being passed
> through?
>
> additionally (as a crap workaround) you could create
> a quick script
> which would set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH path and then
> invoke python, and use
> that in your shebang line...
>
> also, might it not be an idea to a have a specific
> instance of
> CGIServlet that has executable=python, rather than
> piping to ksh and
> then to python? (ie why bother with the shebang
> line, if you don't
> really need it...)
>
> just a few ideas, FWIW...
>
> Tim
>

> Ed Hillmann wrote:
> > I'm attempting to set up our Tomcat server to run
> > ViewCVS, which is a Python application.  I've set
> up
> > Python on my Solaris 8 box.  I've noticed that to
> > start python, I need to include a library
> > (libgdbm.so.3) in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Which I do,
> and
> > Python starts up fine.
> >
> > I've copied the cgi script into the appropriate
> > directory in my Tomcat server.  CGI is enabled,
> > because we have other scripts being executed from
> > within Tomcat.  But whenever I attempt to call the
> new
> > Python script, I get the error...
> >
> > 2005-07-19 14:14:32 cgi: runCGI (stderr):ld.so.1:
> > /ct/ctapp/python241/bin/python: fatal:
> libgdbm.so.3:
> > open failed: No such file or directory
> >
> > Which looks a lot like the error I get if that
> library
> > is not in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> > I've mucked around with startup.sh to displayed
> that
> > the processes starting the Tomcat JVM does have
> this
> > library in it's environment.  But whatever is
> > executing the CGI script from within the JVM is
> not
> > passing along the environment variables.
> >
> > The servlet definition in my web.xml looks like...
> >
> >     <servlet>
> >         <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet</servlet-class>