tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sriram N <sriramx_2...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Silent runtime replace of a class
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:54:24 GMT

--- Gal Robert <robertgal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> we have a new user requriement: to be able to modifiy the application
> without affecting user work.
> Is there any way to achieve this under tomcat? Currently we're
> building war file. Is there any way to replace a class (maybe jsp class)
> runtime, without restarting the tomcat?
> any information is welcome

JSPs are recompiled and reloaded when ever the JSP source file is changed.

If you have other .class files such (including servlets), then you need to
create a context.xml as per the documentation provided at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html

You'll could place the context.xml in either the conf directory, or in the
war's WEB-INF folder. Just ensure that the "reloadable" attribute is set to
"true".

Since you've not specified which Tomcat version you're using, I've pointed you
to the latest Tomcat 5.5 documentation.

> thanks.
> robert

-- Sriram