tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <mailing-tomcat-u...@schoenhaber.de>
Subject Re: Problem compiling JSPs with Tomcat as Windows Service
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:16:55 GMT
Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2005 22:30 schrieb Trevor Quinn:
> When I deploy a web application to a Windows 2K server running Tomcat
> 5.0.28 and JDK 1.5, I see "Unable to compile JSP" errors on every JSP page,
> but only when Tomcat is running as a Windows service. When I run Tomcat
> from the console window, all pages compile and display correctly.
>
> I had read in another posting that this might have something to do with
> permissions. It said to make sure JAVA_HOME, TOMCAT_HOME, and PATH were
> defined as system variables, not user variables. This is the case, and I'm
> still seeing problems. Another posting recommended moving the Java
> lib/tools.jar file to the common/lib folder in Tomcat. That didn't seem to
> help either.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

Make sure that the account your tomcat service runs under (propably SYSTEM)
has the appropriate permissions on the tomcat installation directories.
Especially it must be granted writing permissions to the directories where
tomcat puts the files created during JSP compilation (i. e.
%CATALINA_BASE%\work by default).

Regards
  mks