tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Akoulov, Alexandre [IT]" <alexandre.akou...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: non-web app in tomcat
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2005 07:39:43 GMT
If your non-web application is to be only accessed by web apps why would not you run it in
the tomcat's JVM (just place non-web application in the ${catalina.base}/shared/classes or
as a jar file into ${catalina.base}/shared/classes). In this scenario you eliminate the need
for maintaining the communication layer bw your non-web and web applications plus "launchable"
requirement becomes obsolete.

Regards,

Alex.

-----Original Message-----
From: philippelonchampt@free.fr [mailto:philippelonchampt@free.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 July 2005 11:34 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: non-web app in tomcat

Hello all,

I need an advice : I have to develop an application which will be called by
other apps in the same server -- all the "callers" are wep apps stored in a
tomcat instance. This application is not a web app, but it has to access the
same resources (database), so I thought that the easiest would be to store this
non-web app in tomcat too.

This app has to be "launchable" :
- case 1 : by web apps stored in tomcat
- case 2 : by a scheduled task

My question is : which framework/technology should I use to develop this app ?
What communication ways would you advice me to use in both cases ?

Thanks !

Philippe