tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject Re: Linking/forwarding GET requests using Default servlet or other Tomcat feature
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:37:38 GMT
jsp-file that is.

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 12:36, Ben Souther wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 12:19, Rob Hunt wrote:
> > I'm running a stand-alone (no Apache front-end) TC 5.0.19 server on a WinXP box.
 I have a webapp that has a /teams directory that contains gameScores.htm, teamStandings.htm
and scoreForm.htm.  I also have a /playoffs directory (can you tell this is a sports-related
site?) directory that has the **exact same files**.

> > Now, I'd like to keep a single copy of the 3 files in one directory and have some
<servlet-mapping>s  in web.xml that would "forward" the request from /playoffs to /teams
**WITHOUT** the HTTP client being aware of a 'redirect.'  That is, I don't want to issue an
HTTP redirect, and WinXP doesn't have file linking like Unix.  Is there some hook in the Default
servlet (or other TC-supplied class) that would allow one to do something like the following:

> >   <servlet>
> >     <servlet-name>playoffs</servlet-name>
> >     <servlet-class>...DefaultServlet (or whatever)</servlet-class>
> >     <init-param>
> >       <param-name>FORWARD</param-name>
> >       <param-value>/teams</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >   </servlet>
> >   <servlet-mapping>
> >     <servlet-name>playoffs</servlet-name>
> >     <url-pattern>/playoffs/*</url-pattern>
> >   </servlet-mapping>
> >

> > The idea is I'm being very lazy and hoping that there is a feature in the default
servlet (or other TC-supplied filter/class) that will allow this without me having to write
same.  (Of, if someone has some code they'd like to share...)

> The servlet-entry in web.xml can take a jsp-page parameter instead of a servlet-class
> If you define your JSP as a servlet, you can create as many mappings to it as you like.

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Co.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail message, and any accompanying documents, is for the sole use
of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or
copying is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact our office by email or by telephone at (508) 747-7261 and
immediately destroy all copies of the original message.