tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marius Scurtescu <mar...@sxip.com>
Subject Re: Multiple source directories for one webapp
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:36:07 GMT
Laurent Brucher wrote:
>>It all depends on what OS and what editor you use. Under Unix using
>>symbolic links could be a solution.
>>
>>I am not familiar with rsync, but you could use a tool like
>>that to keep
>>two folders in sync. It should be possible to setup a process that is
>>watching your working folder and every time a file changes to copy it
>>over to the deployed web app folder.
>

> I'm running Windows, so no synlinks.

There are sym links under Windows, quite obscure though. Have a look at
Junction:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

> I'm using Eclipse, which is capable of copying files to a given folder, but
> cannot do that across Eclipse projects, and that's what I need to do.
> Finally, I'm using tomcat 5.5.
>
> I'm not familiar with IDEA, but I'd rather avoid having to actually do
> something
> such as pressing a key. I guess I'm looking for a solution that ideally
> requires as little
> external tool as possible...

One key press per changed file is not a big deal and it gives you
control on what/when you deploy.

Have you looked into rsync and the like? See Unison:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Also, check the recent "File synchronization software" thread(s) on the
VanJUG mailing list:
http://lists.openroad.ca/pipermail/vanjug/2005-June/thread.html

> Thanks for the info anyway,
> Laurent.