tomcat-users mailing list archives

From teknokrat <>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5.9 does not read context.xml
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 22:33:43 GMT
Steve Kirk wrote:
> yes context.xml is fine in META-INF.  in fact it is preferred over having it
> in server.xml.  your alternative is to put it in
> conf/enginename/hostname/yourwebappname.xml (which is in fact what TC will
> do for you when it unpacks the war).
> I don't know that you can have the context path name different to the war
> file.  I'm not 100% sure, but can't see how to do it.  in fact I can see it
> being a source of potential confusion.  can you explain why you want to do
> that?
>>OK, I am totally confused. Is or is it not best practice to provide a
>>context.xml in META-INF. I thought this was required for hot
>>to work. If I want my context path to have a different name to my war
>>file, how do I achieve this?
>>thank you

Well, I have to deal with some legacy apps. I wanted to have a more
consistent naming scheme but I obviously have to keep the context path
the same as before. Its no big thing, I was just suprised that context
paths wern't decoupled from the name of the war.

On another note, i find that deployment and undeployment on tomcat 5.5.9
   is very problematic. After half a dozen redeployments or so I find
that tomcat does not fully unpack the war and leaves the directory
incomplete. After that, you can't redeploy or undeploy the app, at least
the directory doesn't get deleted.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message