tomcat-users mailing list archives

From teknokrat <teknok...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5.9 does not read context.xml
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 22:33:43 GMT
Steve Kirk wrote:
> yes context.xml is fine in META-INF.  in fact it is preferred over having it
> in server.xml.  your alternative is to put it in
> conf/enginename/hostname/yourwebappname.xml (which is in fact what TC will
> do for you when it unpacks the war).
>
> I don't know that you can have the context path name different to the war
> file.  I'm not 100% sure, but can't see how to do it.  in fact I can see it
> being a source of potential confusion.  can you explain why you want to do
> that?
>

>>OK, I am totally confused. Is or is it not best practice to provide a
>>context.xml in META-INF. I thought this was required for hot
>>deployment
>>to work. If I want my context path to have a different name to my war
>>file, how do I achieve this?
>>
>>thank you

Well, I have to deal with some legacy apps. I wanted to have a more
consistent naming scheme but I obviously have to keep the context path
the same as before. Its no big thing, I was just suprised that context
paths wern't decoupled from the name of the war.

On another note, i find that deployment and undeployment on tomcat 5.5.9
   is very problematic. After half a dozen redeployments or so I find
that tomcat does not fully unpack the war and leaves the directory
incomplete. After that, you can't redeploy or undeploy the app, at least
the directory doesn't get deleted.