tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Bainbridge <jbainbri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scalability issue question
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:00:35 GMT
On 6/2/05, Wallace, Scott <SWALLACE@kmg.com> wrote:
> Currently using IIS and the ISAPI Tomcat redirect.   Would like to just
> use Tomcat instead but don't know if it can handle my static content.
> The book "Apache Tomcat 5" published by WROX warns of performance issues
> with static content, but ComputerWorld just did an article about
> Weather.com running their site on multiple load balanced Tomcat servers
> servicing 18 million hits a day.
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,92583
> ,00.html

You do realize that article is over a year old don't you? That would
be based around Tomcat 4.X and there have been leaps and bounds in
perfomance with 5.0 and 5.5 so Tomcat should fare even better than it
did back then.

However I would be surprised if weather.com were using the Apache
webserver and looking at Netcraft it looks like they are, no idea what
connectors they are using though.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge