tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hertenstein Alain" <AlHertenst...@gva.eri.ch>
Subject Tomcat v4.0.3 crash for unknown reasons
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:23:19 GMT
Hi there,

We have our Intranet web site running on a Tomcat 4.0.3 server under
Redhat Linux 7.2.
It's been a week now that Tomcat is crashing every 2-8 hours
unexpectedly without apparent reasons, while it has been working
flawlessly for almost 3 years (except for some OutOfMemory exceptions
here and there). We have to restart it manually every time until it
crashes again.
The symptom just before a crash is that the web pages are not fully
loaded in the browser (some images missing, sometimes the pages don't
even display, then do after clicking "Refresh" several times, etc.).
Also, only Tomcat crashes, not the OS or anything else.

There are 2 webapps running on this server :
- one containing standard JSP files (the main Intranet site)
- another one running through Salmon LLC (jsps, taglibs. An Intranet's
sub-application)

We haven't changed anything on the webapps for some weeks now (either
config or JSP pages).

The only difference we noticed is that the catalina.out log file is
getting full of java.lang.NullPointerException here and there (sometimes
10 such exceptions in a row, then nothing for some time, then some of
them again), here's the stack trace :

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpResponseStream.checkHead(HttpResp
onseStream.java:253)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpResponseStream.<init>(HttpRespons
eStream.java:104)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpResponseImpl.createOutputStream(H
ttpResponseImpl.java:220)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseBase.getOutputStream(ResponseBase.
java:725)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseBase.finishResponse(ResponseBase.j
ava:469)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.HttpResponseBase.finishResponse(HttpRespon
seBase.java:236)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpResponseImpl.finishResponse(HttpR
esponseImpl.java:288)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(HttpProcessor.j
ava:1039)
 at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.run(HttpProcessor.java:
1107)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

There's no indication whether these exceptions are caused by specific
pages, or simply by Tomcat itself for some reason. Usually when an
exception is thrown in a JSP page, I get an e-mail with the stack trace,
while in this case I simply get nothing. Also we're even not sure the
crash is due to this exception.

We also thought of some network problems causing Tomcat to crash,
because the 1st webapps is accessing a lot of mounted network shares
(running on Windows servers) through the JSP pages, and the company's
network provider has recently changed. Still we are not sure about this
at all either.

Does anyone have an idea about this issue ? We are a bit lost here...
(we searched through the archives but didn't find any solution)

Thanks a lot,
Alain

the system manager.
Eri Bancaire