tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Realm implemenation, passing additionnal informations to webapplication
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:43:34 GMT
> From: delbd [mailto:delbd@oma.be]
> I thought to create a decorator class around
> a Principal to
> store this information and do a typecasting in webapp to
> access additionnal informations.

Or implement your own Principal - either would work I think.

> But the realm implementation is stored in
> server/lib/myrealm.jar and am not
> sure classes in server/lib/*.jar are visible to the webapplication.
>
> Any recommendation?

We've dealt with this in another project by splitting the implementation
into two jars: myrealm-impl.jar and myrealm-api.jar.  The API jar
contains the classes required by server and webapp (which should just be
the interface definitions if it's factored correctly), and goes into
common/lib.  The other jar contains the implementation and goes in
server/lib.  It worked for us; watch out for classloader issues if you
mention any class in the API that is in the implementation jar, as the
webapp won't be able to load those classes.

		- Peter
--
Peter Crowther, Director, Melandra Limited
John Dalton House, 121 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2AB