tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Trice, Jim" <jtr...@haastcm.com>
Subject RE: Shared web.xml
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:32:20 GMT

RedHat
> : Enterprise 3 and tomcat 4.1. They are being load balanced behind a
netscaler.
> : The webapps directory and thus the web.xml files for each context are
shared
> : via NFS.
>
> This will hurt.  What's the point of load-balancing the two Tomcat
> instances (eliminating a single point of failure), if they are
> susceptible to a problem with the NFS server (introducing a single point
> of failure)?
The point of load balancing in this case is to improve response under heavy
load. Using nfs need not introduce a single point of failure. In this case
the solution to the single point of failure would more likely be setting up a
clustered nfs service.

> I realize it's more of a headache to manage two installs than one; but
> it's even more painful to manage nothing when the shared storage goes
> south. =)
>

> Read on:
>
> : The problem I have is that any time the web.xml is updated for a
> : context that context is reloaded. Since the web.xml file is shared that
means
> : both servers reload the context at the same time. That means downtime. I
know
> : I can set up a local copy of web.xml and create a link to that but this
makes
> : things more complicated. Is there any way to force tomcat 4 to wait to
reload
> : the class until a reload is requested? I have tried reloadable="false"
for
> : each context.
>

> Setting reloadable="false" (inside the <Context/> attribute of
> server.xml, or inside context.xml) and restarting Tomcat should have
> done it.
>
> You mention you inherited this setup.  Perhaps the old admins had setup
> a watchdog job, and that's what triggers restarts?
I tested a default install of the tomcat 4.1 and it exhibited the same
behavior using the examples context set to reloadable="false".