tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Herrmann, Sascha \(GE Healthcare\)" <Sascha.Herrm...@med.ge.com>
Subject WebappClassLoader - don't understand what's happening
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:59:19 GMT
We are facing a problem with Tomcats WebappClassLoader.
We deploy several of our own applications on one Tomcat server.

It seems that the WebappClassLoaderS are not isolated but share classes
instead. Why would that be?

Judging from the (well, outdated) classloader documentation, this should
never happen.
If an application tries to use a class, and the class is in a jar in its
WEB_INF\lib directory,
then the class should be loaded by the application's very own
WebappClassLoader. It should not be available to
other WebappClassLoaderS, isn't that correct? I quote:

"All unpacked classes and resources in the /WEB-INF/classes directory of
your web application archive, plus classes and resources in JAR files
under the /WEB-INF/lib directory of your web application archive, are
made visible to the containing web application, **but to no others**."

Instead of sharing the class, the second WebappClassLoader should load
the class again, shouldn't it?
So why does a WebappClassLoader here re-use a class already loaded by
the WebappClassLoader of another application?

We're running 5.5.7 on JDK 142_08.

Thanks in advance!

Sascha Herrmann
Engineering (Java)