tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Taylor <64rwtaylo...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Tomcat5.5.7 and Log4j
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:56:27 GMT
Greetings, I'm trying to use Log4j in my web app and I'm having some
difficulty.

I'm running Tomcat5.5.7 and JDK 1.5.0
I've followed the instructions here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
-placed log4j.jar and commons-logging.jar in commons/lib
-placed log4j.xml in commons/classes
-Added the following to the Tomcat startup:
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///D:/j2ee_containers/servlet/tomcat/5.5.7/Tomcat%205.5/common/classes/log4j.xml

It looks like Tomcat is finding and recognizing log4j.xml but is failing
with the following error in the log file:

log4j:ERROR A "org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator" object is not
assignable to a "org.apache.log4j.spi.Configurator" variable.
log4j:ERROR The class "org.apache.log4j.spi.Configurator" was loaded by
log4j:ERROR [org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@16672d6]
whereas object of type
log4j:ERROR "org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator" was loaded by
[WebappClassLoader
   delegate: false
   repositories:
----------> Parent Classloader:
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader@6c585a
].
log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate configurator
[org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator].

I googled for this and didn't find anything relavent.
http://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&hl=en&q=A+%22org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator%22+object+is+not+assignable+to+a+%22org.apache.log4j.spi.Configurator%22+variable.&btnG=Google+Search

Any hints (even if its RTFM with a link) would be great.

/robert