tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Help/Examples setting up security settings
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:37:14 GMT
As Mark indicated in another post, the first problem you need to resolve
is how you have installed your webapp.  ROOT is itself a webapp, and
although it might seem right that you want to put your webapp under it,
that isn't the case.  Move SPID_JSP to /webapps and you should be all set.

One other thing I see is you are missing security role definitions in
your web.xml.  You'll want to add something like this:

   <security-role>
     <description>spid_jsp</description>
     <role-name>spid_jsp</role-name>
   </security-role>

The role-name element maps to the role you created in tomcat-users.xml,
and also maps to the security constraint's role-name element, as you
already have.

One other thing... the order of elements in web.xml is usually
important.  I think newer versions of Tomcat allow you to put things in
any order you want (as one would expect with XML!), but earlier versions
had a more restrictive DTD.  You should see an error message when you
start Tomcat if this is going to be a problem.  Just wanted to warn you
about it is you see it later.

Frank

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect