tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: [Q] when to share jars
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:46:42 GMT
Tim Funk wrote:

> Never. I share jars. I wish I hadn't.
>
> When you upgrade JSTL, struts, etc - all get the upgrade for free -
> but that means ultra stable apps which haven't been touched in years
> may "magically break".

You're absolutely right Tim. If it works, don't fix it. And there is
nothing worse than fixing (and breaking) something you never intended to
touch, in the forst place. JPackage project is a valiant effort, but
anyone who has gone through their (or any other) "RPM dependency hell"
knows that stability is hard to achieve and even harder to preserve.

You might lean on JPackage, but you'll still be unable to prevent
upgrade from breaking stuff. Of course, you can require an exact version
of JSTL, Struts,..., but that is just like saying "don't touch anything".

Since there is nothing in the J2EE contract that would provide some sort
of "library versioning control", the only thing you can do is package
JARs with each web-app. That, unfortunately, bloats the WAR, but there
is no other way to ensure stability.

> [Exception - log4j ... I like have a common/lib log4j]

Didn't someone complain on loggers overwriting each other? Of course, it
might be a case of misuse.

Nix.