tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <jon.wingfi...@mkodo.com>
Subject Re: Getting DBCP Exception
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:31:08 GMT
Ajay,

That's a mySQL error message.
In the jdbc url you can add parameters to automate reconnection:

<extract-from-doco>
autoReconnect   should the driver attempt to re-connect if the
connection dies? (true/false) -> false

maxReconnects   if autoReconnect is enabled, how many times should the
driver attemt to reconnect? -> 3

initialTimeout  if autoReconnect is enabled, the initial time to wait
between re-connects (seconds) -> 2
</extract-from-doco>

If you've already have this set, do you see the Exceptions when/after
you bounce the database? I think you can also see this error message if
an admin kills a running database query from the processlist - the
client thinks the database has gone away.

If the above aren't the problem then maybe the communication between the
client and mysql server isn't "fast enough". You may have to tweak the
client and server connection timeout parameters (in my.cnf in the server).

You can also configure DBCP to give a pooled connection a kick to stop
it timing out (mysql times out idle connections after, IIRC, 8hrs by
default).

The parameter you need to set is validationQuery as per:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/configuration.html

HTH,

Jon