tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Diggins <subscri...@red56.co.uk>
Subject Re: percent in URL makes tomcat chocke
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:36:53 GMT
I think tomcat is behaving correctly...

You may have missed out an important fact about URLs... check out
http://www.w3.org/Addressing/rfc1630.txt
"Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW"

"
    THE PERCENT SIGN

       The percent sign ("%", ASCII 25 hex) is used as the escape
       character in the encoding scheme and is never allowed for anything
       else.
"

URL-escaping is different from html/sgml-escaping  (e.g. &#37; )

give that "%3a" is an escape for ":", then if something is asking for
   http://oberon/apt/./g++_4%3a3.3.5-3_i386.deb

then (I think) they are really asking for
   http://oberon/apt/./g++_4:3.3.5-3_i386.deb

so maybe you could "handle" a that in your tomcat webapp?

hope this indicates some directions to try...

Tim