tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Scott Dudley <sc...@sdudley.com>
Subject Re: Multiple source directories for one webapp
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 04:42:32 GMT

Laurent,

Exact same scenario here.  I've tried multiple approaches in the past.  I run Eclipse on Linux.
 The soft link approach worked but was not trivial to implement.  Your configuration sounds
much like mine.  My applications are comprised of multiple sub-projects - each has an html
directory, some have overlapping directory trees, etc.

What I do now is this: I wrote a custom classloader.  Instead of copying my classes to WEB-INF,
I use my custom classloader to specify my own CLASSPATH comprised of the classes folders of
each applicable Eclipse project.  I then us a shell script which calls rsync to synchronize
the html, jsp, and css resources to my installed application folder.  Any time I change a
java class, it's automatically exposed to the web app.  For jsp, html, etc. - I run the rsync
script.  This is fast and very efficient.

I'd very much like to hear more about your FileDirContext solution.  Can you share more -
either here or off-line?  Sample code would be most helpful.

Ultimately, I too would like to have a solution wherein a change made in Eclipse is dynamically
and automatically exposed to my test application without requiring any additional steps.
I had this with the soft link scenario but would like to avoid the complexity if at all possible.

Thanks.

Laurent Brucher wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I guess this is not really new, but I haven't seen any concrete solution nor
>much discussion about it.
>
>So here's the problem:
>one webapp composed of multiple pieces (jsp, html, css, etc.) located at
>various locations on the filesystem.
>
>I know, this goes against the servlet spec. but I've had a need for this
>many times by now, especially under
>development (our projects are broken down into various modules, each
>contributing to creating a final webapp).
>For production, an ant task will do the job putting all the pieces correctly
>together. Under development,
>I find it unpractical to run an ant task every time a jsp has been modified.
>
>We started looking into replacing the resource context with a modified
>version of the FileDirContext, with
>good results so far. This modified version acts as a directory mapper and,
>given a requested resource, provides
>its correct location on the filesystem.
>
>Before continuing further in that direction, I was wondering whether there
>may be alternatives solutions
>to the problem, and also what you guys think about all this?
>
>Thanks,
>Laurent.

Regards,

Scott Dudley