tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: AW: Load all JSP pages on startup
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:47:41 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 04:49:10PM +0200, Bernhard Slominski wrote:
: When thinking about it again I assume that the precompiled webapp with
: Tomcat should also work in any other JSP container, as long as you have the
: Tomcat libraries in your classpath, because in the end your compiled JSPs
: are just normal servlets.

It's even better than that: the webapp itself is portable, without the
Tomcat libraries.  The precompilation process just churns your JSPs into
servlets at build time instead of runtime.

(The container-specific precomps don't involve web.xml mappings for the
generated servlets.  That's why, for example, I can precomp in WebLogic
and but still change my JSP on the fly. Maybe that's what you were
thinking?)

-and it's not as though you'd lose your custom web.xml configuration;
there are ways to fold the generated servlet/mapping sets (from the JSP
precomp) in with your original web.xml at build time.

I don't have such an example readily available... there should be plenty
in the archives, though.

-QM

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net/