tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martín Cabrera <martin.cabr...@abitab.com.uy>
Subject RE: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:45:40 GMT
Are you sure you have the %JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar?...this jar contains the
java compiler that tomcats needs in order to compile jsps pages.

Hope this helps.
Martín.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Anoop kumar V [mailto:anoopkumarv@gmail.com]
Enviado el: Miércoles, 15 de Junio de 2005 01:30 p.m.
Para: Tomcat Users List
Asunto: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main

I am using Tomcat 4.1.30 standalone and am repeatedly facing this issue of

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main

whenever I try to serve up a jsp from a specific folder within webapps.

I know that this is a classpath issue - but i have checked my JAVA_HOME and
it is pointing correctly to my jdk.
I mean I have lots of other applications working fine in the webapps folder
so JAVA_HOME has never been the issue. (the other jsp files from other
folders in webapps are served just fine)

Also from a google search someone pointed out that TOMCAT_HOME or
CATALINA_HOME needs to be set. I tried setting this too in startup.bat and
catalina.bat (even setclasspath.bat) but in vain.

I know that tomcat 4.1.30 completely ignores the system classpath - so I
have not tried to change that.

Another point is that I compiled using JDK1.5_01 but the tomcat4.1.30 I am
using points to jdk1.4.2.

On Tomcat5.5 (pointing to jdk1.5) this worked like a charm - I just dropped
the war in webapps and the jsp was displayed.

Can anybody give me some pointers as to how I can automatically fix this in
4.1.30?

Thanks in advance,
Anoop

--