tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Jserv to Tomcat migration
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:41:09 GMT
On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:18:30PM +0530, gaurav wrote:
:            We thinking migrating some legacy code from Jserv 1.1.2  to
: tomcat 5.
: I am looking around some practical insightful  tips/ guidance on this
: matter ...it there is any Jserv to Tomcat migration guide book or any
: other documentation  which I can refer to or if any one ever   faced
: some problems then pl share with me :-)

The process is the same for migrating between any two servlet
containers:
1/ make note of any vendor-specific hooks you use in your current app.
Don't expect them to be in the other container.  Rewrite your app to
work without them.

2/ Review the servlet spec that fits the destination container (v2.4 for
Tomcat 5).  If it's not the same servlet spec version as your current
container, make note of any deprecations (such as SingleThreadModel) or
other changes.  Code your app to work per the spec.

3/ Note how the new container provides services (such as database
pooling).

That's about it. =)

All jokes aside, the point of the spec is that 100% spec-compliant apps
should be able to migrate between spec-compliant containers without much
hassle.  If you've stuck to the spec this whole time, your migration
shouldn't be a problem.

-QM

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net/