tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <>
Subject Re: Shared web.xml
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:29:08 GMT
On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 02:01:15PM -0500, Trice, Jim wrote:
:    I inherited a tomcat installation with two tomcat servers running RedHat
: Enterprise 3 and tomcat 4.1. They are being load balanced behind a netscaler.
: The webapps directory and thus the web.xml files for each context are shared
: via NFS.

This will hurt.  What's the point of load-balancing the two Tomcat
instances (eliminating a single point of failure), if they are
susceptible to a problem with the NFS server (introducing a single point
of failure)?

I realize it's more of a headache to manage two installs than one; but
it's even more painful to manage nothing when the shared storage goes
south. =)

Read on:

: The problem I have is that any time the web.xml is updated for a
: context that context is reloaded. Since the web.xml file is shared that means
: both servers reload the context at the same time. That means downtime. I know
: I can set up a local copy of web.xml and create a link to that but this makes
: things more complicated. Is there any way to force tomcat 4 to wait to reload
: the class until a reload is requested? I have tried reloadable="false" for
: each context.

Setting reloadable="false" (inside the <Context/> attribute of
server.xml, or inside context.xml) and restarting Tomcat should have
done it.

You mention you inherited this setup.  Perhaps the old admins had setup
a watchdog job, and that's what triggers restarts?

software   --
tech news  --
code scan  --

To unsubscribe, e-mail: