tomcat-users mailing list archives

From pa...@comcast.net
Subject Re: Running tomcat on Debian Sarge
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:08:48 GMT
Debian has a Tomcat 4.1 (4.1..31-3 to be exact) package for the "Sarge" distribution.  The
Sarge distribution is now the official "stable" release.  If you're OK with Tomcat 4.1 and
you're running Sarge, you can edit /etc/apt/sources.list:
(omit all quotation marks)
"deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib"
"deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib"
(or whatever your mirror site may be).  As root, run (omit the quotation marks)
"apt-get update", then
"apt-get install tomcat4"
"apt-get install tomcat4-webapps"
"apt-get install tomcat4-admin" (if you want the admin webapp)
or "apt-get install tomcat4 tomcat4-webapps tomcat4-admin" all at once.
To be able to run the admin and manager apps, you'll need to edit /usr/share/tomcat4/conf/tomcat-users.xml
to include a user and password for the rolls of admin and manager.
Blackdown has a Debian package for J2SE 1.4 jdk which you can install by adding "deb ftp://ftp-.tux.org/java/debian/
sarge non-free" to sources.list.  Then run "apt-get install j2sdk1.4"
When I last checked, they also had a package for the jk2 connector but theirs does not support
JNI (and jk2 is deprecated).  Best bet is to download the jk1 source and build it yourself.