tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian Beech" <a.be...@bigpond.net.au>
Subject Which is best practice for stowing objects, request or session context?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:27:49 GMT
Hi all,

A work colleague mentioned on Friday it would be better to place objects
(beans and the like) which had been created in a servlet into the request
context when exposing them to the JSP.  To date all the code I've written
stores beans and the like in the session context and all has appeared to be
fine thus far.  I understand the nature of the various contexts and how they
relate to the process life cycle, etc.

Can someone please shed some light on this and possibly explain the merits
of placing the objects in either context?  For example, what are the
pitfalls of using the request context?  Is there any material around which
adequately details when or when not to use the specific contexts?

Cheers.
AB