tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Harper" <rob...@iat-cti.com>
Subject RE: tomcat windows / mysql linux
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:59:46 GMT
What is the speed of your network? Local access will almost always be faster
than a call across the network. Even if you specify your ODBC to use a
network address, the OS's are smart enough to not send local access through
the network card. There could also be issues with the network physical
setup. If you have daisy chained hubs instead of smart switches this could
further degrade the performance due to the number of hops you request might
take. You could expect a few second delay for network layer depending on the
speed and topography of the network. This is one of the reason good network
engineers get paid so well.

Robert S. Harper
Information Access Technology, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: daniel steel [mailto:secc77@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:36 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: tomcat windows / mysql linux

hi all,
  i have an interesting problem. our app server(tomcat
5.5) on windows 2003 communicates with mySQl database
on linux box.

our client application is very slow each time we log
in. when we moved the database to windows box, the
application is super fast.

does anybody have thoughts on this?

thank you
secc