tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <>
Subject Re: problem starting jrmp service in tomcat 5.5.9 ?
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 03:40:58 GMT
Ah, yes, there was another reason to deprecate JkMX :).

mx4j no longer ships with the jrmp Adapter.  You need to downgrade your mx4j
to version 1.1.

"Pankaj Bhatnagar" <> wrote in message

I am trying to upgrade from Tomcat 5.0.x to Tomcat 5.5.9. I have an
application that used to monitor Tomcat 5.0.x by connecting to the jrmp
service and retreiving the MBeanServer. I used to enable the jrmp service by
adding the 2 lines :
to the file in the /conf folder.

This does not work with Tomcat 5.5.9 :(

I added these 2 lines to the file but found that there was no
change in Tomcat starting up. I realized that the file was
not being read by default. I then added the attribute
propertiesFile="/conf/" to the AJP Connector definition in the
server.xml file. Now I get the following :

May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /
May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.common.JkMX init
INFO: Can't enable log4j mx:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.log4j.jmx.HierarchyDynamicMBean
        at Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at ava.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(
        at java.lang.Class.forName(
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkMX.registerObject(
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkMX.init(
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.start(
        at ......
May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/79  config=/conf/

Now I dont understand whether the service started successfully or not ?
How can I check whether the service started or not ? I am not able to
connect to the service through code. Could please help me as to how I can
enable the jrmp service in Tomcat 5.5.9 and retreive the MBeanServer
programatically ?

Also, how do I start Tomcat in debug mode & where will I get the debug
messages ?

Thanks in advance
Pankaj Bhatnagar

To unsubscribe, e-mail: