tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Matt Galvin <matt.t.gal...@gmail.com>
Subject Help - Alias or Symlink to external(to the context) images directory?
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 19:29:11 GMT
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way to set an alias to an external directory
that contains images to be displayed on a web page?

Maybe explaining what I need to do would help:

I have a directory, for example: /tmp/images
I have a webapp in: /opt/tomcat/webapps/myapp

I need to be able to store uploaded images in /tmp/images (which I
have working fine) and I need to be able to display those images via
the jsp's in myapp. Is it possible to have an alias called
myapp/images that points to /tmp/images or can I maybe use a
symlink(can tomcat follow the symlink?) or is there some other way I
can do this, other than using a servlet to retrieve/return the images?

I need to be able to do this so that when the webapp is
updated/redeployed, the images will not get deleted.

I am running tomcat 5.0.28 on SUN's Java 1.4.2_08 on a variety or
Linux/UNIX systems.

Thanks in advance,

Matt