tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Hackney <aa...@aaronhackney.com>
Subject Re: context battle?
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 19:14:29 GMT
Thanks for the response Patrick. I'm probably going about this all wrong.

Simply put, I'm just trying to make a datasource available to my
application. Sounds sinple enough. I have found a lot of conflicting
information out there on the implementation.

I develop with JBuilder (good, bad or indifferent!) But anyhow....where
does one properly make a datasource for a tomcat application available?
I'm using Tomcat 5.0 (I could use 5.5 if I had to).

Thanks in advance. I'm a bit blind and stubling around here and really
tried to research it on my own this weekend but to no avail.

-Aaron

Patrick Thomas wrote:

>>and if a context with the same name is defined in a webapp WEB-INF/xml
>>file which would "win" such a fight? I have a feeling my context defined
>>in /localhost is being overwritten by the app. (I'm fighting with
>>JBuilder 2005 trying to get some JNDI naming stuff to work for my
>>datasources)
>>
>>Ideas? Or am I waaaaay off?
>>

>I'm gonna go with "possibly way off" because you shouldn't be putting
>the context name into web.xml (context.xml is okay, though not
>required, but web.xml no... in fact, I don't think it'll even
>acknowledge it there). Did you mean to say "META-INF/context.xml"? If
>so, then we've got a meatier discussion; let us know.
>
>Cheers,
>Patrick
>
>On 5/31/05, Aaron Hackney <aaron@aaronhackney.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me with a context question.
>>
>>If I define a context in an xml file in /tomcathome/conf/catalina/localhost
>>
>>and if a context with the same name is defined in a webapp WEB-INF/xml
>>file which would "win" such a fight? I have a feeling my context defined
>>in /localhost is being overwritten by the app. (I'm fighting with
>>JBuilder 2005 trying to get some JNDI naming stuff to work for my
>>datasources)
>>
>>Ideas? Or am I waaaaay off?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>-Aaron