tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <bur...@rojo.com>
Subject Re: The amazingly slow performance of JSP (profiler results)
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 22:05:55 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

>It will obviously use more CPU and make more API calls. However, it
>does not allocate any objects, but instead will reuse per page objects
>(which is very fast). So overall, it sounds weird to me that the
>bottleneck would be on tag invocation.
>
>In the end, it's hard to beat a Java "if" with a generic high level
>construct ;) I don't understand how anyone could be surprised by that.

I think people are suprised because we don't realize that JSP is using
such a high level overhead internally.  People see the semantics of c:if
and c:set and so forth and assume they're analogs for Java "if"
semantics and assume they would perform at the same level.

Its more obvious to you guys because you're usually delving into Tomcat
at that level where I haven't done so in a long time (especially into
Jasper generated source)l.

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit http://rojo.com.
See irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.