tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <bur...@rojo.com>
Subject Re: The amazingly slow performance of JSP (profiler results)
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 22:00:10 GMT
Peter Lin wrote:

>Back in 2002, I wrote several pages using JSP + java and JSP + JSTL to
>measure the actual cost of from a performance perspective. The
>performance difference isn't noticeable if a page has less than 50
>tags. With 200+ tags, the performance difference does range from 2-5x
>slower for JSTL. It's worse when you use XML with JSTL. It's also one
>of the reasons I like to use JSTL + XML to benchmark. It really gives
>the VM a workout.

Awesome!  This is great validation.

At least I know I'm not hallucinating :)

The issue is that we have certainly more than  200+ tags... which I'm
not exactly happy about.

The other big performance hit was our use of custom .tag files?  I was
able to get a chunk of code form 900ms down to 150ms by replacing the
use of a custom.tag into a jspf include.

Could this be that custom tags aren't using the tag pool?

My profiling showed that a bunch of methods here seemed to be based
around creation.

If necessary I can build up a test case and then profile it.

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit http://rojo.com.
See irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.