tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Burton <bur...@rojo.com>
Subject Re: The amazingly slow performance of JSP (profiler results)
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 21:49:07 GMT
Dakota Jack wrote:

>You have to be and are comparing apples and oranges, Kevin,

Perhaps... but my point was that JSP 2.0 doesn't HAVE to be this slow! :)

>because
>JSP *is* Java.  DOH!  It cannot run slower than what it is.

No.. it could run slower... I'm sure the Tomcat developers will find a
way ;)

>You
>probably are comparing just running a Java method like setFoo(String
>foo) { this.foo = foo; } where the parameter foo has the value "bar".
>But, this is really misleading.  The "simple" code you write with
><c:set var="foo" value="bar"/> in fact is just as complex as what you
>see and have provided in your email.  So, if you want to compare, you
>have to do all that the code you see as *ugly* does.

No ... of course not!  For example a JSP 1.x scriptlet would NOT be
anywhere near as slow!

>If you don't
>want to do all that, don't.  But, that is not a problem with JSP and
>JSP is not a dog if used properly.

Ha... so what's properly?  Don't use c:set?  Don't use c:if ?...

>That's all I have to say about
>that.

OK forest :)

Kevin

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit http://rojo.com.
See irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.