tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joakim Ahlén <joak...@geosition.com>
Subject Undeploying webapp on windows
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 07:20:18 GMT
Hi,

I guess this question has come up a thousand times on this list, but i
still have no workaround for it so i need to get a tip or two from you guys.

We're using Tomcat 5.5.9 on Windows 2003 Server, and we cannot
hot-deploy webapps. The cause is one of our jar-files in WEB-INF being
locked, so the webapp cannot be undeployed. (The directory
webapps/<webapp>/ cannot be deleted).

Now, i've scanned the net a lot about this problem and have tried lots
and lots of stuff.

- Stopping the webapp before trying to remove the
webapps/<webapp>/-directory does NOT work.
- Using reloadable="true", antiJARLocking="true"
antiResourceLocking="true" in the context.xml for each webapp does NOT work.

We have about 75 (almost identical) webapps or so running on our server.
With the software "Process Explorer" from sysinternals
(http://www.sysinternals.com/files/procexpnt.zip), i can see all open
files in the system. On any given time, "tomcat5.exe" has one jar-file
in each of about 3-5 webapps open with a file handle. These are never
closed, but open for as long as tomcat lives (or at least, for a very
long time. Hours or days.)

Now, i know what is said about this problem. "It's an OS problem, not a
tomcat issue". I can't understand that though, since:

- Hot deploy worked perfectly under windows with tomcat 4.1.X. What has
changed since then?
- Tomcat evidently has several file handles open to these jar-files
which it doesn't close. Isn't the problem this, that tomcat doesn't
close the file handles to its opened jar-files?

I can close these file handles manually from within process explorer,
but then tomcat goes berserk and nothing works.

Is there anything i'm missing here?
Isn't there any way whatsoever to be able to use hot deploy under
windows today?
Why doesn't antiJARLocking and antiResourceLocking work at all, i
thought these should adress this particular problem?

I'm attaching a screenshot of the open files from within process explorer.

Hope you can help me!

Regards

Joakim