tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bill Winspur <bwins...@wynnon.com>
Subject Re: Configuring Separate Instances Using CATALINA_BASE
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 02:41:42 GMT
Peter,
thanks for your tomcat instance (Catalina_base) installation process. It
has been very helpful,
but  I have couple of questions (interleaved with your information, below).

> Hey Bill,
>
> here my simple catalina.base installation description:
>
> install jakarta-tomcat-5.5.x
> mkdir node1
> cd node1
> mkdir bin conf temp logs webapps work
> cd bin

Since what follows, edits the startup scripts, I presume the above steps
included
a copy of $CATALINA_HOME/bin/ contents to node1/bin/

> # windows
>
> edit startup.bat
> set CATALINA_BASE=..
> set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> set CATALINA_OPTS=-server -Xms@jvm.minmemory@m -Xmx@jvm.maxmemory@m
> "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" run %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>
> edit shutdown.bat
> set CATALINA_BASE=..
> set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" stop %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>
> # unix
> edit startup.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> export CATALINA_BASE=..
> export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
> export CATALINA_OPTS=-server -Xms@jvm.minmemory@m -Xmx@jvm.maxmemory@m
> exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run "$@"

the following should be edit shutdown.sh, right?

> edit startup.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> export CATALINA_BASE=..
> export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
> export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
> exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh stop "$@"

> # unix cd ../conf and use cp
> cd ..\conf
> copy @catalina.home@\conf/\server-minimal.xml server.xml
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\web.xml
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\tomcat-users.xml
> # only tomat 5.5
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\context.xml
> # optional
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.policy
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.properties
> mkdir Catalina\localhost
> # install manager app that reference the app inside catalina.home
> copy @catalina.home@\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml

The above step of copying manager.xml (which is an xml fragment defining
a tomcat context)
raises a couple of questions:
1. Should we also copy admin.xml ? (we assign its security role to a
user below)
2. Having our tomcat instance use the manager and admin files in
$CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps
means that those apps will be shared by all tomcat instances on a given
host. This seems unsafe.

If multiple instances need to use manager and/or admin, I assume we
should copy these apps into our new
instance (node1/webapps/ in this case) and adjust the the context
definitions in node1/con/Catalina/local host
accordingly.