tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Rossbach ...@objektpark.de>
Subject Re: Configuring Separate Instances Using CATALINA_BASE
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 18:56:04 GMT
Hey Bill,

here my simple catalina.base installation description:

install jakarta-tomcat-5.5.x
mkdir node1
cd node1
mkdir bin conf temp logs webapps work
cd bin

# windows

edit startup.bat
set CATALINA_BASE=..
set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
set CATALINA_OPTS=-server -Xms@jvm.minmemory@m -Xmx@jvm.maxmemory@m
"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" run %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

edit shutdown.bat
set CATALINA_BASE=..
set CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina" stop %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

# unix
edit startup.sh
#!/bin/sh
export CATALINA_BASE=..
export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
export CATALINA_OPTS=-server -Xms@jvm.minmemory@m -Xmx@jvm.maxmemory@m
exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run "$@"

edit startup.sh
#!/bin/sh
export CATALINA_BASE=..
export CATALINA_HOME=@catalina.home@
export CATALINA_PID=@catalina.basefullpath@/logs/catalina.pid
exec $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh stop "$@"

# unix cd ../conf and use cp
cd ..\conf
copy @catalina.home@\conf/\server-minimal.xml server.xml
copy @catalina.home@\conf\web.xml
copy @catalina.home@\conf\tomcat-users.xml
# only tomat 5.5
copy @catalina.home@\conf\context.xml
# optional
copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.policy
copy @catalina.home@\conf\catalina.properties
mkdir Catalina\localhost
# install manager app that reference the app inside catalina.home
copy @catalina.home@\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml

edit tomcat-users.xml
# add
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <user username="manager" password="tomcat" roles="manager,admin"/>

edit server.xml
# change ports or at your special server.xml config elements
cd ..\bin
startup
# Tomcat works
# install you apps with copy to webapps or with manager app

I hope this help :-)
Peter