tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob Feretich <bob.feret...@prodigy.net>
Subject Re: Session lost when switching from https to http in Tomcat 5.
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 08:48:52 GMT
Tomcat (starting with Tomcat 4) stores the JSESSIONID cookie as a
"secure" cookie that is tagged for port 443 (or 8443) when the session
begins under HTTPS. Browsers are not allowed to send secure cookies
under plain HTTP, so your session is lost. For Tomcat 4 or 5 you must
start your session under HTTP, then switch to HTTPS to maintain a
session across both. Tomcat 3 had a config.xml option to always store
JSESSIONID as non-secure.  It's a long story. See the mailing list
archive for the rants. In the its current state, Tomcat's implementation
does not agree with published "Best Practices" and the *proposed* "State
Management" standard, but the decision was made to err on the side of
security.

I have modified Tomcat 4 to permit sessions that span HTTP and HTTPS.
The changes are not difficult, but you must implement your own mechanism
to prevent session hijacking. Non-secure JSESSIONID cookies create a
security hole.

The committees are supposed address the security vs. state management
issue in the next Servlet Spec.

Regards,
Bob Feretich