tomcat-users mailing list archives

From ". ." <icewa...@bsdmail.com>
Subject cant post to wiki and security
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 23:01:22 GMT
Hi
1 of 3  I wanted to include an install doc for tomcat 5.5.9 on solaris 9 with jdk1.5.0
2 of 3  I also have a question: How do you create a login for webdav servlet so that no one
besides your access list can log into the webdav folder and read it
3 0f 3  WHy is wiki read only? I cant upload this to wiki

My install doc follows

tomcat 5.5.9 install
first get jdk 1.5.x since tomcat 5.5.9 needs it
jdk 5 setup

ftp the jdk-1_5_0_03-solaris-sparc.tar.Z from G:~/Web/jdk_solaris9 to /home/gavin as usr gavin
pass ce1tics since ftp won't work as root

create new directory for installation only

mkdir (whatever name u like)
copy jdk into install directory
cp jdk-1_5_0_03-solaris-sparc.tar.Z /home/gavin/instaler
cd instaler
now follow sun doc:
1. Download and check the file size to ensure that you have downloaded the full, uncorrupted
software bundle.

It's best to create a new directory to save the download bundle to, as the next step will
extract several directories and files into this directory. The directory can be anywhere you
choose.
Before you download the file, notice its byte size provided on the download page on the web
site. Once the download has completed, compare that file size to the size of the downloaded
file to make sure they are equal.

2. Extract the contents of the compressed tar file:

On SPARC processors:
zcat jdk-1_5_0<update>-solaris-sparc.tar.Z | tar -xf -
On x86/AMD64/EM64T processors:
zcat jdk-1_5_0<update>-solaris-i586.tar.Z | tar -xf -

This creates several directories (SUNWj5rt, SUNWj5dev, SUNWj5cfg, SUNWj5man, SUNWj5dmo, and
SUNWj5jmp) plus a few files in the current directory.

3. Become root by running su and entering the super-user password.

4. Uninstall any earlier 5.0 package installation of JDK.

If your machine has an earlier version of 5.0 already installed in the default location (/usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0),
you must remove it before installing a later version of 5.0 at that location.

You can skip this step if you intend to install JDK 5.0 in a non-default location. For more
details, see Selecting the Default Java Platform.

To uninstall the Solaris packages for JDK 5.0, remove them by running:

On all processors:
pkgrm SUNWj5rt SUNWj5dev SUNWj5cfg SUNWj5man SUNWj5dmo

5. Run the pkgadd command to install the packages.

On all processors:
pkgadd -d . SUNWj5rt SUNWj5dev SUNWj5cfg SUNWj5man SUNWj5dmo

This installs the JDK 5.0 into /usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0. Version 5.0 does not automatically become
the default Java platform on Solaris 9 or earlier (unless there was no default), but does
become the default on Solaris 10. If you want 5.0 to be the default on Solaris 8 or 9, follow
the instructions at Default Installations of Java Platform.

See the pkgadd(1) and admin(4) man pages for information on installing the JDK in a non-default
location.

6. Delete the tar files and extracted SUNW* directories.

7. Exit the root shell. No need to reboot.

To install tomcat

get the .zip file
unzip tomcat-version-xyz.zap
these are tomcat folders
go into /bin and chmod +x *

then
they recommended creating a symbolic link to a tomcat directory.

# ln -s jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9 tomcat

In order for Tomcat to startup and shutdown, you will also need to add an environment variable
pointing to the Tomcat directory (CATALINA_HOME), and one variable pointing to your Java SDK
directory (JAVA_HOME). I will make the following assumptions:

JAVA_HOME
Java is installed into /usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_03

CATALINA_HOME
Tomcat is installed into /opt/jakarta-tomcat-5.x.xx and symlinked to /opt/tomcat.

Insert the following lines inside /etc/profile or /root/.bashrc.

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_03
export CATALINA_HOME=/opt/tomcat

then for our purposes here retype them at the command line so the server has them in effect
now
test that the server sees them by typing
echo $JAVA_HOME
should give /usr/jdk/jdk1.5.0_03
echo $CATALINA_HOME
should give /opt/tomcat
 if blank line retype the export JAVA_HOME=etc.

Webdav

webdav is a servlet
it is in /opt/tomcat/webapps/webdav and already autodeployed by default
if we change the port tomcat serves from 8080 to 8084 in /opt/tomcat/conf/server.xml 2nd page
down in vi hold control down and hit F once
then /opt/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh ~/bin/startup.sh (off+on) tomcat
we can open http://69.8.207.143:8084/webdav and see files and folders in /opt/tomcat/webapps/webdav
directory