tomcat-users mailing list archives

From gabor <ga...@nekomancer.net>
Subject my build "structure"..opinions wanted
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 12:16:17 GMT

hi,

i'm starting a project using jsp + javaBeans..
i've worked with java a lot, but i have not much experience with web
applications..

for now my idea is that the application will be using javabeans, and jsp
for displaying the data...

i use eclipse for the development, which nicely compiles every source
file automatically when i edit them.

that's why i came up with the following idea:

i'll create a directory in tomcat/webapps (let's call it 'mywebapp').
put my source files into mywebapp/WEB-INF/src, and instruct eclipse to
put the compiled .class files into mywebapp/WEB-INF/classes.

this way, i simply edit the files, press ctrl-s (to save them),
switch to the browser window, and press refresh, and already i get the
new results (because eclipse already compiled the file, and tomcat
detected the change).

i tested this approach, and it works ok.

is this a suitable approach? are there any dangers with this approach?

gabor