tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pankaj Bhatnagar" <>
Subject problem starting jrmp service in tomcat 5.5.9 ?
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 09:31:05 GMT

I am trying to upgrade from Tomcat 5.0.x to Tomcat 5.5.9. I have an application that used
to monitor Tomcat 5.0.x by connecting to the jrmp service and retreiving the MBeanServer.
I used to enable the jrmp service by adding the 2 lines :
to the file in the /conf folder.

This does not work with Tomcat 5.5.9 :(

I added these 2 lines to the file but found that there was no change in Tomcat
starting up. I realized that the file was not being read by default. I then
added the attribute propertiesFile="/conf/" to the AJP Connector definition
in the server.xml file. Now I get the following :

May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /
May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.common.JkMX init
INFO: Can't enable log4j mx:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.log4j.jmx.HierarchyDynamicMBean
        at Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
        at ava.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(
        at java.lang.Class.forName(
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkMX.registerObject(
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkMX.init(
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.start(
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.start(
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(
        at ......
May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/79  config=/conf/

Now I dont understand whether the service started successfully or not ?
How can I check whether the service started or not ? I am not able to connect to the service
through code. Could please help me as to how I can enable the jrmp service in Tomcat 5.5.9
and retreive the MBeanServer programatically ?

Also, how do I start Tomcat in debug mode & where will I get the debug messages ?

Thanks in advance
Pankaj Bhatnagar