tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edlira "Kumbar˙ffffffffffffffffe7e" <inapatat...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Apache2+Tomcat5.5+mod_jk loadbalancing: Sticky sessions not working
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 16:56:30 GMT
Thank you for your reply.
I don't think it's the session timeout on tomcat
because, as I said in my previous message,I don't see
a pattern in the time pages are served from the same
tomcat. In other words, a page gets served from
tomcat1 maybe 4 times (each page refresh), then 2
times from tomcat2, then 3 times from tomcat1, without
a specific pattern.
Here's my tomcat1 server.xml file, if you can take a
look at it:
<!-- Example Server Configuration File -->
<!-- Note that component elements are nested
corresponding to their
     parent-child relationships with each other -->

<!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents
the entire JVM,
     which may contain one or more "Service"
instances.  The Server
     listens for a shutdown command on the indicated
port.

     Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so
you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" or
"Loggers" at this level.
 -->

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
<!-- Listener
className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig"
modJk="C:/Program Files/Apache
Group/Apache2/modules/mod_jk.so" /-->

  <!-- Comment these entries out to disable JMX MBeans
support used for the
       administration web application -->
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
/>
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
/>
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>

  <!-- Global JNDI resources -->
  <GlobalNamingResources>

    <!-- Test entry for demonstration purposes -->
    <Environment name="simpleValue"
type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>

    <!-- Editable user database that can also be used
by
         UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
       description="User database that can be updated
and saved"

          pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />

  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more
"Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" (and therefore the web
applications visible
       within that Container).  Normally, that
Container is an "Engine",
       but this is not required.

       Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container",
so you may not
       define subcomponents such as "Valves" or
"Loggers" at this level.
   -->

  <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
  <Service name="Catalina">

    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which
requests are received
         and responses are returned.  Each Connector
passes requests on to the
         associated "Container" (normally an Engine)
for processing.

         By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is
established on port 8080.
         You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector
on port 8443 by
         following the instructions below and
uncommenting the second Connector
         entry.  SSL support requires the following
steps (see the SSL Config
         HOWTO in the Tomcat 5 documentation bundle
for more detailed
         instructions):
         * If your JDK version 1.3 or prior, download
and install JSSE 1.0.2 or
           later, and put the JAR files into
"$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".
         * Execute:
             %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias
tomcat -keyalg RSA (Windows)
             $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias
tomcat -keyalg RSA  (Unix)
           with a password value of "changeit" for
both the certificate and
           the keystore itself.

         By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a
web application calls
         request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an
adverse impact on
         performance, so you can disable it by setting
the
         "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When
DNS lookups are disabled,
         request.getRemoteHost() will return the
String version of the
         IP address of the remote client.
    -->

    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port
8080 -->

               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
               enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true" />

    <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set
connectionTimeout value
     to 0 -->

	<!-- Note : To use gzip compression you could set the
following properties :

			   compression="on"
			   compressionMinSize="2048"
			   noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"
			   compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml"
	-->

    <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
-->
    <!--
               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
               enableLookups="false"
disableUploadTimeout="true"
               acceptCount="100" scheme="https"
secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    -->

    <Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

    <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port
8082 -->
    <!-- See proxy documentation for more information
about using this. -->
    <!--
    <Connector port="8082"
               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
               enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
connectionTimeout="20000"
               proxyPort="80"
disableUploadTimeout="true" />
    -->

    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within
Catalina) that processes
         every request.  The Engine implementation for
Tomcat stand alone
         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the
request, and passes them
         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
-->

    <!-- Set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via
AJP -->
    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost"
jvmRoute="tomcat1" />

    <!-- Define the top level container in our
container hierarchy -->

      <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful
debugging information about
           the request headers and cookies that were
received, and the response
           headers and cookies that were sent, for all
requests received by
           this instance of Tomcat.  If you care only
about requests to a
           particular virtual host, or a particular
application, nest this
           element inside the corresponding <Host> or
<Context> entry instead.

           For a similar mechanism that is portable to
all Servlet 2.4
           containers, check out the
"RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the
           example application (the source for this
filter may be found in

"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").

           Request dumping is disabled by default.
Uncomment the following
           element to enable it. -->
      <!--
      <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
      -->

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance
will be shared globally -->

      <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured
in the global JNDI
           resources under the key "UserDatabase".
Any edits
           that are performed against this
UserDatabase are immediately
           available for use by the Realm.  -->
      <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>

      <!-- Comment out the old realm but leave here
for now in case we
           need to go back quickly -->
      <!--
      <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />
      -->

      <!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the
following to get a Realm
           stored in a database and accessed via JDBC
-->

      <!--
      <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
             driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
         connectionName="test"
connectionPassword="test"
              userTable="users"
userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles"
roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->

      <!--
      <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"

driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"

connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@ntserver:1521:ORCL"
         connectionName="scott"
connectionPassword="tiger"
              userTable="users"
userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles"
roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->

      <!--
      <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
             driverName="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"
          connectionURL="jdbc:odbc:CATALINA"
              userTable="users"
userNameCol="user_name" userCredCol="user_pass"
          userRoleTable="user_roles"
roleNameCol="role_name" />
      -->

      <!-- Define the default virtual host
           Note: XML Schema validation will not work
with Xerces 2.2.
       -->
      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
       xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">
      <!-- Listener
className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig"
append="true" forwardAll="false" modJk="C:/Program
Files/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_jk.so" /-->

        <!-- Defines a cluster for this node,
             By defining this element, means that
every manager will be changed.
             So when running a cluster, only make sure
that you have webapps in there
             that need to be clustered and remove the
other ones.
             A cluster has the following parameters:

             className = the fully qualified name of
the cluster class

             name = a descriptive name for your
cluster, can be anything

             mcastAddr = the multicast address, has to
be the same for all the nodes

             mcastPort = the multicast port, has to be
the same for all the nodes

             mcastBindAddr = bind the multicast socket
to a specific address

             mcastTTL = the multicast TTL if you want
to limit your broadcast

             mcastSoTimeout = the multicast
readtimeout

             mcastFrequency = the number of
milliseconds in between sending a "I'm alive"
heartbeat

             mcastDropTime = the number a milliseconds
before a node is considered "dead" if no heartbeat is
received

             tcpThreadCount = the number of threads to
handle incoming replication requests, optimal would be
the same amount of threads as nodes

             tcpListenAddress = the listen address
(bind address) for TCP cluster request on this host,
                                in case of multiple
ethernet cards.
                                auto means that
address becomes

InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress()

             tcpListenPort = the tcp listen port

             tcpSelectorTimeout = the timeout (ms) for
the Selector.select() method in case the OS
                                  has a wakup bug in
java.nio. Set to 0 for no timeout

             printToScreen = true means that managers
will also print to std.out

             expireSessionsOnShutdown = true means
that

             useDirtyFlag = true means that we only
replicate a session after setAttribute,removeAttribute
has been called.
                            false means to replicate
the session after each request.
                            false means that
replication would work for the following piece of
code: (only for SimpleTcpReplicationManager)
                            <%
                            HashMap map =
(HashMap)session.getAttribute("map");
                            map.put("key","value");
                            %>
             replicationMode = can be either 'pooled',
'synchronous' or 'asynchronous'.
                               * Pooled means that the
replication happens using several sockets in a
synchronous way. Ie, the data gets replicated, then
the request return. This is the same as the
'synchronous' setting except it uses a pool of
sockets, hence it is multithreaded. This is the
fastest and safest configuration. To use this, also
increase the nr of tcp threads that you have dealing
with replication.
                               * Synchronous means
that the thread that executes the request, is also the
                               thread the replicates
the data to the other nodes, and will not return until
all
                               nodes have received the
information.
                               * Asynchronous means
that there is a specific 'sender' thread for each
cluster node,
                               so the request thread
will queue the replication request into a "smart"
queue,
                               and then return to the
client.
                               The "smart" queue is a
queue where when a session is added to the queue, and
the same session
                               already exists in the
queue from a previous request, that session will be
replaced
                               in the queue instead of
replicating two requests. This almost never happens,
unless there is a
                               large network delay.
        -->
        <!--
            When configuring for clustering, you also
add in a valve to catch all the requests
            coming in, at the end of the request, the
session may or may not be replicated.
            A session is replicated if and only if all
the conditions are met:
            1. useDirtyFlag is true or setAttribute or
removeAttribute has been called AND
            2. a session exists (has been created)
            3. the request is not trapped by the
"filter" attribute

            The filter attribute is to filter out
requests that could not modify the session,
            hence we don't replicate the session after
the end of this request.
            The filter is negative, ie, anything you
put in the filter, you mean to filter out,
            ie, no replication will be done on
requests that match one of the filters.
            The filter attribute is delimited by ;, so
you can't escape out ; even if you wanted to.

            filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;" means that we
will not replicate the session after requests with the
URI
            ending with .gif and .js are intercepted.

            The deployer element can be used to deploy
apps cluster wide.
            Currently the deployment only
deploys/undeploys to working members in the cluster
            so no WARs are copied upons startup of a
broken node.
            The deployer watches a directory
(watchDir) for WAR files when watchEnabled="true"
            When a new war file is added the war gets
deployed to the local instance,
            and then deployed to the other instances
in the cluster.
            When a war file is deleted from the
watchDir the war is undeployed locally
            and cluster wide
        -->

        <!--
        <Cluster
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"

managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                 expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true"
                 notifyListenersOnReplication="true">

            <Membership

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                mcastAddr="228.0.0.4"
                mcastPort="45564"
                mcastFrequency="500"
                mcastDropTime="3000"/>

            <Receiver

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="auto"
                tcpListenPort="4001"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"/>

            <Sender

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                replicationMode="pooled"
                ackTimeout="15000"/>

            <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.htm;.*\.html;.*\.txt;"/>

            <Deployer
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.deploy.FarmWarDeployer"
                      tempDir="/tmp/war-temp/"
                      deployDir="/tmp/war-deploy/"
                      watchDir="/tmp/war-listen/"
                      watchEnabled="false"/>
        </Cluster>
        -->

        <!-- Normally, users must authenticate
themselves to each web app
             individually.  Uncomment the following
entry if you would like
             a user to be authenticated the first time
they encounter a
             resource protected by a security
constraint, and then have that
             user identity maintained across *all* web
applications contained
             in this virtual host. -->
        <!--
        <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
/>
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all requests for
this virtual host.  By
             default, log files are created in the
"logs" directory relative to
             $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can
specify a different
             directory with the "directory" attribute.
 Specify either a relative
             (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to
the desired directory.
        -->
        <!--
        <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
                 directory="logs"
prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common"
resolveHosts="false"/>
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all requests for
this virtual host.  By
             default, log files are created in the
"logs" directory relative to
             $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can
specify a different
             directory with the "directory" attribute.
 Specify either a relative
             (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to
the desired directory.
             This access log implementation is
optimized for maximum performance,
             but is hardcoded to support only the
"common" and "combined" patterns.
        -->
        <!--
        <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.FastCommonAccessLogValve"
                 directory="logs"
prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
                 pattern="common"
resolveHosts="false"/>
        -->

      </Host>