tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Question on JNDI configuration
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 01:24:40 GMT
On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 04:23:05PM -0700, John MccLain wrote:
: Is it possible to add a datasource to JNDI AFTER the server has started?

If you create the DataSource yourself, yes, you can bind it.

I had to test the same thing tonight, so I'll share an excerpt of my
stub code.  The short story is, get the InitialContext and call bind().

IIRC, java:comp/env isn't writable, but any other path should be...

  public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce) {

    try{

      // "StoreMe" is a serializable class created just
      // for this experiment...

      final String bindPath = "/some/SomeObject" ;
      final StoreMe original = new StoreMe() ;
      original.setProperty1( "x" ) ;
      original.setProperty1( "Z" ) ;

      Context ctx = new InitialContext() ;

      ctx.bind( "/some" , new InitialContext() ) ;
      ctx.bind( bindPath , original ) ;

      StoreMe fromJndi = (StoreMe) ctx.lookup( bindPath ) ;
      log.info( "Do the objects match? " + original.equals( fromJndi ) ) ;

    }catch( final Exception rethrow ){
      log.error( rethrow ) ;

      // yank the context if this fails...
      throw( new RuntimeException( rethrow ) ) ;
    }

  } // contextInitialized()

-QM

--