tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: [OT] : How to get a connection from Tomcat DBCP from a remote application?
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 01:26:40 GMT
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 05:46:22PM -0700, appa rao wrote:
: However if I try to get the connection from the Pool from an application which is not deployed
in Tomcat (remote client), I am getting not bound exceptions.

This makes sense.  Keep in mind, JNDI is just a lookup/storage service
for objects.  The container maintains its own (internal) JNDI service,
and one object it stores there is the DataSource that represents your
connection pool.

When last I checked (admittedly, it's been a while), Tomcat's JNDI
service is not available outside of the container.

So ask yourself this:
does your non-webapp code really need a DataSource pulled from JNDI?
(find a JNDI service, create a DataSource, store it)

or does it just need access to a DataSource, period?
(abstract your data access into a separate layer, such that your code
 doesn't know from where its gets Connection objects)

Either way, someone will have to configure the connections for the
non-webapp code; one convenience provided by containers is that they
take care of instantiating/configuring the DataSource for you (based on
your entries in server.xml/context.xml).

-QM

--

software   -- http://www.brandxdev.net/
tech news  -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com/