tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wendy Smoak" <j...@wendysmoak.com>
Subject Re: tomcat stopped
Date Fri, 06 May 2005 02:46:19 GMT
From: "Fred Cook" <ftcook@allvantage.com>
> 2) We had the CLASSPATH set to point to servlet.jar (needed to compile the
> test program).  This was the main problem, which might bring up a
> versioning question.  We are running RH 8.0 on this machine with Tomcat
> 5.5.7 and apache 2.0.53.  What is the correct version of servlet.jar that
> should be run with this version of Tomcat and Apache?

Well... I don't think it's called servlet.jar anymore.  A quick look shows
no servlet.jar file in the Tomcat 5.5.9 download.  I believe the file you
want is servlet-api.jar .  (I'm still on 4.1, so I'm guessing...)

You could also download the "official" API from Sun, and compile against
that.  It's not that you need to compile against a specific version of
_Tomcat_, it's that you need to compile against the right version of the
Servlet Specification.  In your case, Tomcat 5.5 is Servlet 2.4, so make
sure that's what you're using.

Where did you get the 'servlet.jar' file that you were using?  Maybe it does
contain the right stuff, but those strange NoClassDefFound errors you were
getting made me suspicious.

--
Wendy Smoak