tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Steve Vanspall" <st...@crmsoftware.com.au>
Subject Serving files using tomcat
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 13:29:59 GMT
Hi,

I have been looking around and haven't found a solution that works

basically I have a PDF that gets created dynamically. Now to save memory I have the PDF written
to a file rather than a ByteArray. The only way I can be sure that I wont encounter errors
creating the file is to use File.createTempFile. The creation goes of ok. And I have checked
the file itself and the PDF looks great.

How do i now serve this to the user who has requested it. If I try to write it to the response
(using the same method I use to creare dynamic image, this works), it just shows up a blank
screen.

The problem also is, even if it did show the PDF, acrobat, to my understand will read only
chunks of the stream and will go pack to get more. Thisis a problem because there is nothing
to go back for.

So the point,

If I can just redirect the browser to a file in the tomcat temp directory (can I do that,
will the use have access to that directory), then how do I translate the location of the temp
directory to a url that is accesible outside.

If not then what other suggestions can people give me.

Thanks in advance

Steve