tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Bainbridge <jbainbri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat + Apache Web Server
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:25:27 GMT
On Apr 6, 2005 11:20 AM, Mike Millson <mmillson@meritonlinesystems.com> wrote:

> Every web application can benefit from compressing and caching static
> resources. It decreases the number of connections your server must
> handle. To not have caching, I think, is to ignore a best practice. Or
> at the very least ignore the opportunity to improve the user experience
> with faster response times. It's not that hard to integrate Apache w/
> Tomcat, and I still benefits to this approach that standalone Tomcat
> does not offer.

Well the Coyote connector for one definitely has compression available
and compresses content nicely, even dynamic content. I'm not sure of
the specifics of the caching mechanisms used internally to Tomcat but
it achieves caching nicely giving 304 not modified responses where
applicable and often the browser will cache the static content so a
request isn't even made.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge