tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Meadors <larry.mead...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Debugging tomcat startup
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 12:17:40 GMT
Hey Sasha, I have been wanting to do an iBATIS realm for a while. Glad to
see I am not alone. ;-)

You have a couple of options.

I use IDEA, and run tomcat externally. When I want to debug startup code, I
set JPDA_OPTS (in setenv.sh/bat) to this:

JPDA_OPTS="-Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=y"

Most of that is already there (in tomcat 5.0.27 line 141 of catalina.sh),
and tells the JVM to start the debugger in server mode using sockets, to
listen on address 8000, and to suspend immediately, until a debugger
attaches.

Then, set your breakpoints, and start tomcat using this:

$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh jpda start

Once it starts, you can attach, and debug everything starting at the
beginning.

Java rocks! :-D

Larry